Monday, March 12, 2007

Preschool - Is My Child Ready?

Well, it's about that time. You are ready for your little one to begin learning a little independence and want to reclaim a little of your sanity time (what's that?). But, is he or she ready? It is inevitable to ask yourself if you are pushing too hard too soon. I think the real answer lies with the person who provides the most care for your child. Since you are the one reading this, you are most likely that person.

There are some questions that can help you answer your do I or don't I dilemma. First, has your child ever been in someone else's care? Most people may find this a crazy question, but my first never stayed with anyone but my mother until she went to preschool. How has the child handled that separation? Did he or she throw a fit, cry or simply say "bye, Mommy"? Obviously, the child that is waving goodbye and can't wait to be rid of your company will probably do well in a preschool environment. But, in my opinion, even the ones throwing a fit and crying can be more than ready.

The biggest question that you will need to answer is this - are you comfortable with whom and where you are leaving your child? Are you alright leaving your child sobbing your name while you slink around the corner? That sounds awful, doesn't it? That it what it feels like though. Prepare yourself. Do you know that you are leaving them in capable hands and that they will stop crying and start engaging within a few minutes? My first waved goodbye and sailed into the classroom. My second would cry for the first 10 minutes and I felt like the worst of mothers for leaving her in that condition. There were a few mornings I would be crying right along with her. But, I would come back about 15 minutes later and listen at the door. She was always playing and laughing with the other children by then.

There are several options available to parents today for preschool. There is a strong emphasis on early learning and most schools expect your child to be able to write their names, know their shapes, colors, numbers and alphabet before ever stepping foot into a public school. There are church preschools, Montessori and institutional preschools. They all have different philosophies on how they want to teach your children. Remember how the movies used to joke about the competition to get into a good preschool? Well, that isn't just for the wealthy anymore.

Ask yourself what it is you want your child to learn and what are you planning to focus on for their future education. Will you be homeschooling, sending them to private school or enrolling them in the public schools? For the most part, I believe that preschool is what Kindergarten used to be for us old folks - learning socialization. They need to learn to follow rules and how to handle themselves with other children in the same stage of development as themselves. I once called a preschool to inquire about their program and was told that there would be an $85 fee for textbooks as they would be learning Spanish and Science. Come on guys! This was for my 3 year old! Instead, she went to a wonderful church preschool where there were only 8 children and a retired teacher and assistant for her class.

This particular setting may cause some people to be a little nervous about the religious affiliation. Each church preschool will set there own parameters about the religious content of their studies. I personally have not stepped foot into a church for 20 years and was a little concerned about judgement at first. What I found were a lot of moms like myself, none of whom attended that particular church and all were interested in one thing - what was best for their children. Please don't cut this less expensive option out just because it is affiliated with religion.

I would definitely recommend putting your child into preschool prior to entering public school, if that is your intention. This will allow them to develop some independence and will help them adapt better in the public school setting. They'll know how to listen and follow the rules, what to do if Johnny takes his lunch or Betty pushes her down. It is really optional at 3, but I have seen programs for 2 1/2 year olds too. I am not an expert, but I believe in helping my children in any way that I can. I have found that our preschool experience has been an extremely positive one. I hope that yours is too!

No comments: